Feedback about version 2.1

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:00 PM
Edited Oct 25, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Hello,

First of all thank you for this great tool :)

I would like to suggest some tiny improvements to do to brainiac to makes it more friendly to use.

1 - The workspace should be dedicated to what is created (the behaviors). Actions, Conditions, Decorators, Events... should not appear in it.
2 - We should access the creatable nodes throught a popup windows by right clicking onto the parent node in the schematic. This will help to manage node constraints too (ex: you will not attempt to add a condition node under a condition node because the popup window just display what is granted).
3 - Nodes types are loaded from a plugin, why not from a simple description file?
4 - A menu bar is the standard way to access files and options. Respecting standards avoid the user to feel lost or incomfortable.

All of this is not criticism, just suggestions ;)

Thanks for all

Coordinator
Nov 4, 2009 at 8:30 AM
Edited Nov 4, 2009 at 8:32 AM

Hi nec,

thanks for you feedback.

1) This is because you can drag behaviours into your tree just like any other node. I agree that this could be split into two windows by changing a setting or so.

2) I have used editors with a right-click menu to add nodes and I personally don't like it. The editor has an error check which should be used to tell the designer which nodes should not be put together. I don't see why you should not put a condition under another one.

3) I just felt that this makes programming exporters and everything much easier and saver since you do not have to work with arbitrary strings. And for your exporter you would need a plugin anyway.

4) I did this to maximize the space that is available for the edit window. So instead of one big menu bar you have a small one in the node explorer.

Thanks again for your feedback :)

I hope I will be able to release a new version by next year. Currently my work keeps me busy and the editor is under heavy refactoring since it has a major design flaw.